Positive Behavioral Services of the Four Corners offers Applied Behavior Analysis to improve behaviors for children and adults diagnosed with autism/intellectual/developmental disabilities and other diagnosis’s. PBS4C also provides Vocational Services that focuses on job development, job placement, and job coaching for individuals with disabilities.
Applied Behavior Analysis
Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) is a type of therapy that focuses on reducing problem behaviors such as aggression, self injury, stereopty, elopement, and more while improving specific behaviors such as verbal development, cooperation, social and play skills, communication, adaptive learning skills, flexible thinking, rigidity, and overall domestic capabilities. ABA is effective for children and adults with behavioral disorders in a variety of settings. It has also been shown that consistent ABA can significantly improve behaviors and skills and decrease the need for long term special services.
ABA Methods are use to support persons with Autism in these areas:
- to increase behaviors (eg reinforcement procedures increase on-task behavior, or social interactions)
- to teach new skills (eg, systematic instruction and reinforcement procedures teach functional life skills, communication skills, or social skills);
- to maintain behaviors (eg, teaching self control and self-monitoring procedures to maintain and generalize job-related social skills);
- to generalize or to transfer behavior from one situation or response to another (eg, from completing assignments in the resource room to performing as well in the mainstream classroom);
- to restrict or narrow conditions under which interfering behaviors occur (eg, modifying the learning environment);
- to reduce interfering behaviors (eg, self injury or stereotypy).
What to Expect
When working with an ABA therapist, you will:
- Determine which behaviors require change
- Set goals and expected outcomes
- Establish ways to measure changes and improvements
- Evaluate where you are now
- Learn new skills and/or learn how to avoid negative behaviors
- Regularly review your progress
- Decide whether or not further behavior modification is necessary
The length of time spent in ABA depends on the severity of the problem and individual rate of improvement.
ABA is the most widely accepted scientifically based treatment for individuals diagnosed with ASD.
-Baer, D.M. Wolf, M. M., & Risley, T.R. (1968)
We support our clients to achieve the jobs of their preference! We use thorough job readiness assessment and consultation tools. Our Collaboration with our local employers, Community Center Boards and Division of Vocational rehabilitation counselors makes our programs a step above the rest.
Help and support at the job site! We provide ongoing job supports and training at the worksite to assure satisfaction between clients and employers. Supporting our clients and employers relationships through job coaching is a necessary part of long term successful employment outcomes for our clients. Extended supported employment- Once the client is considered successfully rehabilitated with DVR we can still deliver supported employment services under the HCBS Medicaid Waiver Program for as long as they want to work and as long as the supports are deemed necessary.